Professor Damilola S. Olawuyi, FCArb, is an international lawyer, professor of law, arbitrator, author, and policy consultant, with expertise in petroleum, energy and environmental law. In 2015, Professor Olawuyi was promoted to the rank of Full Professor of Law at Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti, Nigeria at the age of 32 years, becoming one of the youngest full professors of law in Nigerian history.
He is Deputy Vice Chancellor, Chancellor’s Fellow and Director of the Institute for Oil, Gas, Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development (OGEES Institute), Afe Babalola University, Nigeria. He is also a professor of petroleum, energy and environmental law at HBKU Law School, Doha, Qatar where he teaches energy and environmental law courses.
Damilola Olawuyi Biography
Damilola Olawuyi born on August 28, 1983, is from Osun state. A prolific and highly regarded scholar, Professor Olawuyi has practiced and taught law in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and the Middle East. He was formerly an international energy lawyer at Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP, Calgary, where he served on the firm’s global committee on extractive resource investments in Africa. He was also formerly deputy director and head of international environmental law at the Centre for International Governance Innovation, Waterloo, Canada.
Professor Olawuyi has published several influential journal articles and books on natural resources, energy and environmental law. He has been an expert speaker and commentator at several international conferences. His most recent book publications include: Extractives Industry Law in Africa (Springer, 2018) and The Human Rights-Based Approach to Carbon Finance (Cambridge University Press, 2016).
Professor Olawuyi is an Independent Expert on the African Commission’s Working Group on Extractive Industries, Environment and Human Rights. He is Vice Chair of the International Law Association; co-chair of the Africa Interest Group of the American Society of International Law (2016-2019); and member of the Academic Advisory Group of the International Bar Association’s Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law (SEERIL). He is the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Sustainable Development Law and Policy; Associate Editor of the Carbon and Climate Law Review; and Senior Research Fellow of the Centre for International Sustainable Development Law, Montreal, Canada. He is a member of the Governing Council of Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti, Nigeria, and a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Chartered Arbitrators (NICARB).
Professor Olawuyi has lectured on energy and environmental law in over 50 countries including: Qatar, Great Britain, Greece, France, Denmark, United States, Australia, Spain, China, India, Kenya, Netherlands, Canada, United States and across Nigeria. He has most recently received the Herbert Smith Freehills Visiting Professorship at the University of Cambridge, UK and the IAS Vanguard Fellowship of the University of Birmingham. He has served as a visiting professor of law at the China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing; University Research Fellow at the Consortium for Peace Studies, University of Calgary; and David Sive Scholar at Columbia Law School, New York, United States.
Professor Olawuyi has been admitted as Barrister and Solicitor in Alberta, Canada; Ontario, Canada; and Nigeria.
He is a media commentator on all aspects of energy, environment and sustainable development.
Damilola Olawuyi Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Law (DPhil), University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Master of Laws (LL.M), Harvard University, United States
- Master of Laws (LL.M), University of Calgary, Canada
- Bar Certificate (First Class Honours), Nigerian Law School, Abuja
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), Igbinedion University, Okada, Nigeria
- Petroleum law
- International environmental law
- Climate change law and policy
- Natural resources law and policy
- Food and agricultural law
- Project finance
- Business and Human Rights in the Global Economy
- Entrepreneurship law
- International Commercial Arbitration
Damilola Olawuyi Books
- Damilola Olawuyi & Eduardo Pereira (eds.), Practical Considerations to Negotiate Enforceable Joint Operating Agreements in Civil Law Jurisdictions (Kluwer, 2020)
- Damilola Olawuyi, Extractives Industry Law in Africa (Springer, 2018)
- Damilola Olawuyi, The Human Rights Based Approach to Carbon Finance (Cambridge University Press, 2016) Foreword by The Right Hon. The Lord Jonathan Hugh Mance, Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom.
- Damilola Olawuyi & Rhuks Ako (eds), Food and Agricultural Law (Afe Babalola University Press, 2015) ISBN 1926832272, pp 320.
- Reviewed by Yemi Akinseye George SAN, FCIARB
- Damilola Olawuyi, The Principles of Nigerian Environmental Law (Afe Babalola University Press 2013) ISBN 9662965114, pp 350. Foreword by Aare Afe Babalola SAN, OFR, LLD, FNIALS, DLITT