Burna Boy and Wizkid, two Afrobeats singers, are among the winners of the 2020 MOBO Awards. Also, a good number of Nigerian Afrobeats stars, namely; Tiwa Savage, Davido, Fireboy DML, Adekunle Gold, and Rema made the nominees’ list of this year’s Music Of Black Origin (MOBO) Awards held virtually and live-streamed exclusively on YouTube at 7.00PM GMT on December 9, 2020.
The annual award aired its 2020 edition on Wednesday in an event held at the Exhibition London in Shepherd’s Bush.
Burna Boy won the ‘Best International Act’ while Wizkid got the ‘Best African Act’ category.
Nines, an English rapper, won the ‘Album of the Year’ for his chart-topping ‘Crabs In A Bucket’, beating the likes of Stormzy, J Hus, and Lianne La Havas. Nines also went ahead to snag the ‘Best Hip Hop Act’.
Headie One, another British rapper, bagged the ‘Best Male Act’ category. He also delivered a performance of some of his hit singles including ‘Bumpy Ride’, and ‘Teach Me’, both of which are tracks of ‘Edna’, his debut album.
List of Winners
- Album of the year: Nines – Crabs in a Bucket
- Best male act: Headie One
- Best female act: Mahalia
- Song of the year (public vote): Young T & Bugsey – Don’t Rush (feat Headie One)
- Best newcomer (public vote): Aitch
- Video of the year: NSG – Lupita
- Best R&B/soul act: Mahalia
- Best hip-hop act: Nines
- Best grime act (public vote): JME
- Best international act (public vote): Burna Boy
- Best performance in a TV show/film: Michael Ward as Marco, Blue Story
- Best media personality: Chunkz
- Best album 2017-2019: Ella Mai – Ella Mai
- Best African act: Wizkid
- Best reggae act: Buju Banton
- Best gospel act: CalledOut Music
- Best jazz act: Ego Ella May
- Best producer: Jae5
- Inspiration award: Steve McQueen
About MOBO Awards
The MOBO Awards which is UK’s biggest celebration of Black music and culture are an annual music award presentation recognising achievements in music by blacks. It includes music genres like hip hop, grime, R&B, soul, reggae, jazz, gospel, and African music.